In some cases, braces or clear aligners alone, are not sufficient to correct orthodontic problems or malocclusions. Orthognathic surgery (jaw surgery), which is an umbrella term for several different corrective jaw surgeries, may be needed to ideally treat certain jaw related bite problems.
What Conditions Can Orthognathic Surgery Treat?
Orthognathic surgery can be done on the upper jaw, lower jaw, and chin. Surgery can treat problems such as:
- Problems with biting, eating or chewing
- Swallowing problems
- Speech impediments
- Facial imbalances, either congenital or due to illness or injury
- Chronic pain
- Sleep apnea
- Receding or protruding jaw
In most cases, patients are treated with braces prior to jaw surgery. Jaw surgery is usually performed on older teens and adults, as it is usually best to wait until the patient is done growing. However, your orthodontist and an oral surgeon may have other criteria for surgery.
It is important to consult with an orthodontist and an oral surgeon to assess whether jaw surgery may be an appropriate option for you. Jaw surgery is recommended only following detailed examinations by an orthodontist and oral surgeon.
Benefits of Corrective Jaw Surgery
Corrective jaw surgery can provide a more permanent solution to some orthodontic problems. After surgery, patients can experience:
- Increase airway and improved breathing
- Decreased or eliminated need for CPAP or sleep apnea devices
- Enhanced physical appearance
- Improved self-esteem
- More comfortable eating and swallowing, which can result in better nutrition
- Improved jaw function, Pain relief
- Better oral health, as aligned teeth and jaws are easier to clean and maintain
Orthodontist in North York, Toronto
If you are wondering if you or your teen could benefit from corrective jaw surgery, please contact us to set up a consultation. At York Mills Orthodontics, the purpose of your first visit with us is always to understand your concerns and to provide you with options to address your goals.If orthognathic surgery is a consideration for your specific case, then we will help you understand this process as well as help to set you in the right direction for appropriate treatment.
We will present you with all of your options, including treatment fees. We believe our patients make the best decisions when they are fully informed. We look forward to hearing from you.
– The York Mills Orthodontics Team